This article shows you how to create a custom view on the data set page. A custom view is a group of filter settings saved with a unique name. The custom view tool is useful because you can create multiple templates that display different information from the same data set.
Any custom view you create can be linked to a template. For more information, see:
Before you start
To use the View tool, you must first create a data set. If you have not completed that task, see:
A custom view is useful, but not everyone needs it. This scenario demonstrates when a custom view is recommended.
A company wants to show used cars and motorcycles on their website. They create a data set with in-stock vehicles.
The image below shows the data set in the Default View: two cars and two motorcycles. If the company wants to create a separate web page for motorcycles and another page for cars, the Default View won't work.
- The solution is to create two custom views: one for cars and the other for motorcycles.
1 Creating a filter
The first step is to create a filter. A filter temporarily hides items from displaying in the data set.
- Open the data set you want to modify and then click the Filter tab. A menu displays.
- Click Add Filter. The Add New Filter panel opens with three tabs.
- In the Field tab, select the data column which will be used to sort items. In the example below, we select the column called Vehicle.
- In the Condition tab, select the condition you want to apply. The default is Contains. In this example, Contains is the correct condition.
- In the Value tab, enter the sorting value. In the example below, we enter the word motorcycle.
When entering text values, be sure the spelling is exact. Filters with misspelled words can return zero results.
- Click Ok. The Add New Filter panel closes. The modified data set displays on the screen. In the image below, the data set shows motorcycles only. The rows with cars are hidden.
2 Creating a custom view
The next step is to create a custom view.
- Go to the right side of the data set and then click Default View. A panel displays.
- Click Add View. The Add New View panel displays.
- On the Add New View panel, enter a unique name and then click OK. In the example below, we call the new view Motorcycles.
In the View tab, the name changes from Default View to the custom view.
3 Changing the view
- To change the view on display, click the View tab. A menu displays.
- Select a view name. The items on display in the data set change.
4 Deleting a view
- To delete a custom view, click the View tab. A menu displays.
- Click the trash bin beside a custom view name.
- Click Yes in the confirmation popup box. The custom view is deleted.
5 Deleting a filter
If you delete a filter connected to a custom view, two things happen:
- all of the items in the data set now display
- the custom view name continues to appear but it doesn't filter items
- To delete a filter, click the Filter button. A menu displays.
- Click the trash bin icon.
- Click Yes in the confirmation popup box.
6 Editing a filter
- To edit any of the filter settings, click the Filter button. A menu displays.
- Click the pencil icon. The Update Filter panel displays.
- Make changes and then click Update.