This article shows you how to exclude a web page from a sitemap.
1 Opening a web page
The first step is to open the web page you want to exclude from a sitemap.
- Click WEBSITE on the top menu bar.
- On the left side menu, select the CONTENT folder and then click Manage. The Website Content page displays.
- Locate the page you want to exclude from the sitemap.
- Hover the mouse pointer on the page and then click Edit. The page opens in the Edit Content area.
2 Opening the Settings panel
- With the web page open in the Edit Content area, click the Settings button at the top of the screen. The Edit Settings page displays.
- Scroll down and locate the checkbox beside the sentence Do not include this page in the sitemap.
- Check the box to remove the page from an updated sitemap.
- To add the page to an updated sitemap, uncheck the box.
- Scroll up to the top of the page and then click Save.
- If the page is already published, click Publish.
Now you know how to exclude a web page from a sitemap. Here's some background information.
What is a sitemap?
Every web page needs one sitemap. A sitemap is a list of web pages. It tells search engines how content is organized on your site. As you add or delete pages and content over time, the information in the sitemap changes with each update.
A sitemap is an important tool for SEO. It helps search engines see and record what's on your site. When search engines know about your pages and content, people online can find your website. As such, the sitemap helps bring traffic to your site.
How is a sitemap created?
The Sinorbis platform automatically creates and updates a sitemap for your site.
Why exclude a page from the sitemap?
Sometimes, it's a good idea to prevent the sitemap from listing a certain page.
Why do that? Here are two possible reasons.
- You have a page with out-of-date content. You don't want to delete the page, but you don't want others to access the information.
- You have a page used for testing design ideas, or it's still under construction. You don't want website visitors to see your work in progress.
Please sign in to leave a comment.